Roll it all upon Me,
Child of my love, lean hard,
And let Me feel the pressure of thy care,
I know thy burden, child; I shaped it,
Poised in Mine own hand, made no proportion
In its weight to thine unaided strength;
For even as I laid it on I said,
‘I shall be near, and when she leans on Me,
This burden shall be Mine not hers;
So shall I keep my child within the circling arms,
Of Mine own love.’ Here lay it down, nor fear
To impose it on a shoulder which upholds
The government of worlds. Yet closer come,
Thou art not near enough; I would embrace thy care,
So I might feel My child reposing on my breast.
Thou lovest me? I know it. Doubt not, then,
But loving Me, lean hard.
(Octavius Winslow, 1800’s)
Acts 12 Study Questions
1. James has just been killed by Herod and Peter knows it! How do you think Peter feels sitting in prison waiting for his own trial? Do you think that he ever thought he would be delivered from that terrible situation?
2. Why did Herod die? Why do you think his death was so sudden and violent?
3. What do you think caused Peter to be set free from prison? Why was he set free and not James?
4. In Acts 12 God speaks to Peter through a vision of an Angel. At first Peter is not even sure if it’s a dream or if it’s real. How do you experience God talking to you? How do you know it is really God?
5. Acts 12:15 shows that the disciples doubted just like us. Have you ever doubted God would answer your prayers? Can you remember a time where God answered your prayers? What about a time where God did not answer your prayers?