One of my favourite spiritual authors is Brennan Manning. Every time I read one of his books, I come away with a renewed sense of God’s heart for me, for you and for the world. Many times this week, as I’ve looked at Acts 5, this quote has come to me. I share it with you as you prepare to worship Jesus with us this morning. And hey, thanks for coming to do that, by the way. It’s always way more fun when we’re all here together. “Endowed with the courage to risk everything on the truth of the gospel, we surrender our gnawing need to be okay and cease applying spiritual cosmetics to make ourselves presentable.” God, make it so!
Acts 5 Study Questions
- Why did Annanias and Sapphira die? How does the story of their death make you feel? The story of Annanias and Sapphira shows that the early church took sin extremely seriously. What is sin? Do we take it as seriously today?
- In verse 29 Peter and the other apostles exclaim, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Have you ever felt God telling you that you should do something even though people tell you that you shouldn’t? Have you ever been put in a situation where obeying God meant not obeying someone else?
- The early church was persecuted and the apostles were even thrown in jail for what they believed. Have you experienced any persecution or hardship for being a Christian?
- The Disciples in this story (vs. 40) are told not to speak in the name of Jesus. Have you ever been in a situation where you felt you could not speak about Jesus? Have you ever been told by somebody that you could not speak about Jesus?
- In many parts of the world Christians are still persecuted for their faith. Spend some time praying for those who are persecuted and even put to death because of the fact that they believe in Jesus Christ and refuse to keep silent.