St. Paul’s Leaskdale is 150 years old this year! It is awesome to look back and thank our Father specifically for His faithfulness to us these past 150 years. But really 150 years is a drop in the bucket compared to ancient civilizations or the age of the earth. That’s why it makes way more sense to take today to celebrate Jesus. Since the beginning of time He has loved us and wanted to be with us. We, along with nearly countless others have found hope and life in Him. For 2000 years people like us have worshiped Jesus and journeyed together through life. And before that, the faithful worshiped and waited for Jesus, the One who was to come. He’s the One worth celebrating! He has done great things!
- Verse 2 says that there was a time in history when ‘all the people mourned and sought after the LORD’. Describe what you think ‘mourning and seeking after the LORD’ might look like.
- Samuel challenged them that if they were serious they would need to get rid of some stuff. Why was that necessary?
- Is there anything in your life that keeps you with a ‘divided heart’? Something the keeps you from loving God WHOLEheartedly?
- As soon as God’s people get serious, there’s opposition. The dreaded Philistines! What forms does opposition take in our day?
- God brings a great rescue and Samuel raises the Ebenezer Stone. Is there an Ebenezer story in your life?