I grew up thinking that marriage was basically a Snow White and Prince Charming affair. You know, all I needed to do was find a cheerful, sweet, kind princess and we’d live ‘happily ever after’.
I have no clue how that idea got planted and took root in my mind, it wasn’t like I’d ever been around even a single perfect marriage. It wasn’t that I was ill-informed, I just thought I’d be different. Turns out marriage is one of the most difficult (and rewarding!) things a person can try on this planet. Thankfully, our Lord has solid counsel, commands even, for those who want to do marriage well.
Study Questions: 1 Peter 3:1-7
1. From your perspective, single or married, what makes a marriage work? Read 1 Peter 3:1-7.
2. Peter has specific instructions for women. Have the women in the group detail those instructions. What stands out for you?
3. Peter also has specific instructions for men. Have the men in the group identify the instructions given to men. What part of that speaks to you today?
4. Is God against people being beautiful or dressing beautifully? Explain. What, as you understand it now, would be included in God’s definition of beauty?
5. What does it mean that men and women are ‘equal heirs’ to God’s gracious gift of life?