A small sampling of the sufferings in my life this week would include waiting 4 hours in a car dealership for repairs that were supposed to cost $150 that now look like $500. It would include listening to the story of a disintegrating marriage, a triple bogey on hole 15 and, by far, worst of all, standing at a graveside burying a young man. Suffering. Yuck! Nobody wants it. What do you do with it?
Peter says, “Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way.”
Study Questions: 1 Peter 4:1-11
- This may sound gory but describe what you know about Jesus’ sufferings.
- How could Jesus’ suffering help you in your suffering?
- Have you ever had someone turn on you because you chose to follow Jesus? Tell that story.
- Of the three – Pray, Love and Serve – explain which you find easiest and which is hardest. Why is that?
- Decide one of the three that you could specifically do in the coming week. If you’re willing, share that with the group.