When I was 14, I worked for a car mechanic who was essentially a crook. I remember him charging a woman $400 for a job and when she walked out $400 lighter he waved a $1.69 part around saying that all he’d done was replace it with a new one. Gangster! God is not interested in some human beings taking advantage of other human beings. ‘Not interested’ doesn’t capture it, how about ‘God promises full justice in the end.’ No one wins when one person cheats another, God guarantees it.
Study Questions – 2 Peter 2
1. Peter describes greedy leaders and what will happen to them. Describe both of these, the leaders and their judgement, in your own words.
2. The passage raises several stories from Bible history; Sodom and Gomorrah, Balaam and the donkey for example. Go through the passage and explain to each other what you know of these accounts.
3. Why might God take corruption within leaders and teachers so seriously?
4. What does it mean when it says “It would have been better if they’d never heard of the way of righteousness in the first place’?
5. What cautions are there in the passage for the ordinary non-teaching Joe (or Jill)?