Lots of people wear crosses. Its cool I guess. Rappers have huge crosses swinging from around their neck, baseball players cross themselves before they step up to bat, I’ve seen cross tattoos on people who did it only because they like the shape. It would be weird if people wore mini guillotines or electric chairs around their neck, we’d think they’re a bit ‘off’. An execution device? What are you thinking? For hundreds of years Christians have wanted to associate themselves with the One who died on the most famous cross of all, we don’t ever want to ever forget the One who bought our freedom and what it cost Him.
1. Some people refer to a “Messiah complex”, what does that mean?
2. Peter called Jesus ‘the Messiah’. As a group collaborate and come up with a full picture of what you understand ‘Messiah’ to mean.
3. Pretty harsh that Jesus seems to call Peter ‘Satan’. Why such strong language?
4. Explain why Jesus had to suffer and be rejected and killed. Why didn’t he just show up on a white horse and clean house?
5. What might it mean right now for you to ‘deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Jesus’?