When I was a kid we had the cheapest pool. It was given to us and it was on its last legs. We had a blast with it. I remember the night we 4 kids were in it, my mom came out to watch and my dad snuck up on her, swooped her up in his arms and jumped in, both fully clothed. We thought it was the greatest thing! I learned how to be married by watching my folks. All of us do. That training program can leave some gaps so Jesus lays out today what God intends for marriage. Listen in!
- Describe what you learned from your parents about marriage.
- Break verses 6-9 into phrases and, as a group explain what each phrase means. Start with “God made them male and female.”
- Read Genesis 2:20b-25 alongside Ephesians 5:21-33. How do these parallel passages bring out more meaning to our reading?
- Check with single or divorced people in your group, how do these passages apply for those who are not now married or may never be married?
- Have each member of the group articulate the one take away they have from the Scripture reading.
Take time to pray for each other, married or single.