Getting cut from the football team in grade 9,
Earning 25% on an engineering midterm,
Rear-ending another car because I wasn’t paying attention,
It would be nice to forget them, or even erase them, but they attach themselves to us like burrs on a nature walk, and never let go. Sometimes Christians have a hard time admitting when we’re wrong; we think we have to be perfect. That’s odd, our ‘family tree’ is littered with failures. Mark 14, listen in!
1. Describe a time you failed and what it taught you about yourself. Any chance it taught you something about God?
2. What do you think Peter and Judas learned, if anything, through the failures documented in Mark 14?
3. Explain how Jesus would want to establish a covenant (the Lord’s Supper) with such failing people?
4. Tell about a time you had to admit to your failure or weaknesses. How do you imagine God responded to that honesty?
5. Re-tell the story of the woman with the perfume. Imagine it from three perspectives, the woman, the disciples, and Jesus. Who do you relate most with today?