My mom was great at inviting people to our place, it seemed like at one time or other, everyone in our church had Sunday lunch at our house. Welcoming people into your house is an age old kindness that stems way back to the Living God welcoming Adam and Eve to ‘His Place’. Since then God’s people have shown His heart through their hospitality. There is a strong case made throughout the Bible where human beings have the privilege to return the favour and welcome God in to ‘their place’. Listen in!
Sermon Questions: 1 Samuel 6
- When you were growing up did your family invite other families over for meals? Were you ever invited into another home? What was that like?
- The Philistines set up a ‘lab’ in part to determine whether God was in their midst or whether all the bad stuff had just happened by chance. Can you think of a time in your life when you approached God like that? Recall your thoughts from that time.
- The people of Beth Shemesh lost their righteous fear of God and treated His Ark like an entertainment piece. Have you ever seen anything like that, people trying to get stuff from God instead of flat out worshiping Him?
- Given the current events Abinadab had every reason to be afraid however he brought the Ark into his house anyway. Imagine what he might have been thinking and describe how he responded to his fear.
- Most fear is of the evil one but there is a life-giving fear that leads to life and brings people back to God. Have you ever known that fear? Tell the story.