When I was a kid we played games like king of the castle and king’s court. The point of the games were the same: knock someone else off and be the king! Any time I got to be king I always knew my time on the throne was limited. I didn’t belong there. It works the same in life. Everyone needs a King but you need to choose carefully!
Study Questions: 1 Samuel 8
- Describe some of the leaders you have had in your life.
- Samuel is aging and his sons are no good. There is a leadership crisis. What did the elders do in the leadership crisis?
- Why was asking for a king such a wrong thing?
- Samuel warns the people that getting their own way is going to cost them. Recall a warning you received that you left unheeded.
- How did God redeem the king request?