Bullies are everywhere and come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes they have faces, but often they are unseen forces around us. We can bullied by our own voices inside our head, or by our bank account, or by an arctic vortex that just won’t go away! Often the unseen bullies are the hardest to deal with. In today’s story in 1 Samuel 11 we learn that God sees the bullies in our lives and He is our Strong Deliverer. Whatever bully you face today, in whatever package that bully comes, may you hide in the One who is always and constantly, greater. Our God reigns!
Study Questions: 1 Samuel 11
- When the powerful enemy comes and threatens you, what is your natural response?
- God is angered at injustice and cruelty. What can we learn from this passage about responding to others in need? Whose battle is it?
- The Spirit of God stirs up anger in Saul. Share about a time when God used your emotions to accomplish His purposes. Who was ultimately responsible for bringing the army together?
- Even after the defeat, Satan tries to stir the people with division. What is Saul’s attitude and position to the notion of revenge? How is the Lord’s way different than the people’s way?
- What impact did the Lord’s victory have on Saul’s kingship?