One of my pet peeves is when a thread comes loose on one of my favourite shirts. It usually leads to a series of regrettable choices. You know the experience, it’s hanging there and you should go get a pair of scissors and cut it off. But instead, you yank it quickly to try to snap it, but it just pulls more thread out. I figure I didn’t actually pull as hard as I needed to so I really yank it …
The only thing worse than having a shirt unravel on you is watching a life unravel. Enter King Saul …
Study Question: 1 Samuel 19
- Saul felt threatened by David’s success. How do you handle other people’s success?
- Insecurity can take people to crazy places; Saul wanted David dead. Then he wanted everyone else to hate David as much as he did. Give an example of how you deal with your insecurity.
- Describe what David did when he felt threatened.
- Saul wound up naked ‘all day and all night’. Do you think there’s some kind of message from God in that?
- Describe a time when God exposed your heart and it didn’t ruin you but instead He used it to bring you closer to Himself and help you grow up.