Psalm 54 – Prayer for a Safe Place
1 Save me by Your name, O God. And stand with me by Your power.
2 Hear my prayer, O God. Listen to the words of my mouth.
3 For strangers have risen against me. And men who hurt others want to take my life. They do not think about God.
4 See, God is my Helper. The Lord is the One Who keeps my soul alive.
5 He will punish those who hate me, for the wrong they have done. He will destroy them because He is faithful.
6 I will be glad to give You a gift on the altar. I will give thanks to Your name, O Lord, for it is good.
7 For He has taken me out of all trouble. And my eyes have looked without fear upon those who hate me.
Study Questions 1 Samuel 23
- Vs 1 – 5 David observes a situation, inquires of the Lord, assesses the opposition, confirms the Lord’s will and steps out in action. It is a good way to face fear. Discuss times when you have asked God and obeyed His will. How did things turn out?
- Vs 7 – 14 David is on the run. Instead of running in fear, David prayed and God gave direction. Have you ever fled in fear? Was it God’s direction and protection?
- Vs 15 – 18 How did God bless David? How did Jonathan encourage him?
- Vs 19 – 23 Who betrayed David next and why do you think they did? How did Saul respond? Is there something strange about Saul’s blessing?
- In chapter 21 David’s fear led him to lie and act irrationally. In chapter 23 David faces fear by asking God for His will in the situation. Discuss the different outcomes described in chapter 22 and 23. What have you learned about facing fear?