“I learned to fear my instability. For I did not know in what way I shall fall. I would have liked to have known that, with due fear, of course. But I got no answer….But this I did learn, both when we fall and when we get up again, we are kept in that same precious love. The love in which God made us never had a beginning. In it we have our beginning.”
(Julian of Norwich)
Sermon Study Questions
- We discover the reason why Jonah did not want to go to Nineveh. It was not fear. What was it? What keeps you from obeying God?
- Jonah doesn’t want ‘Gracious, Compassionate God’, he wants ‘Angry, Bring the Calamity God’. Compare Jonah to the older brother in the story of the prodigal son. What sin do they share? (Luke 15:25-32)
- Jonah does not think the people of Nineveh deserve mercy. Is there a particular kind of person that you have trouble loving?
- What in your life is like the plant of the story? (Something that God has blessed us with, and if we lose it we would be angry enough to die)
- Jonah has much anger. Discuss what makes you angry. What is the real source of your anger?