I got cut from the Junior Boys football team in grade 9. The coach told me I was too small. At 5’2″ I didn’t measure up. On the spot, my life long dream of being the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys was dashed. That was the first time I remember not measuring up, and it wasn’t the last. When matters of physical height became less important, other matters like how smart I was, what school would accept me, which girls liked me (more to the point, didn’t like me!) all became the new measurable that I would fail to reach. Jesus knows the human reality of failing to measure up and has just the thing to make things right.
Sermon Study Questions: John 15
- Describe a time when you didn’t measure up.
- Was there a time when you felt ‘set free’ from trying to measure up?
- What is the fruit that God intends to grow in and through us?
- Identify an opportunity this coming week in which you’ll have the chance to ‘lay down your life’ out of love for those around you.
- What does Jesus mean by, ‘the world will hate you’? Have you ever experienced that because you belong to Jesus?