1 Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— 2 and all the brothers and sisters[a] with me, to the churches in Galatia: 3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
No Other Gospel
6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!
10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Sermon Study Questions: Galatians 1:1-10
- What gets you cheesed off? What really gets your goat?
- Paul doesn’t take too long to begin to express his anger, what has him fuming?
- If a false ‘gospel’ leaves people struggling under the weight of unrelenting rules, work together as a group to express what the true gospel looks like.
- Paul slings around the word ‘curse’, what might the term ‘curse’ mean in this passage?
- What’s the connection between ‘people pleasing’ and the false gospel? Is people-pleasing something you’ve struggled with?