This goes back to before my time but there was self-righteous chant that went something like, “We don’t smoke and we don’t chew and we won’t go with girls who do.”
Some people laugh when Christians claim to be free, they point to a list of ‘dos and don’ts’ that Christians should and shouldn’t do. But we know Jesus didn’t set us free for lists, He set us free to love each other.
Sermon Study Questions: Galatians 5:1-15
- Paul says that Jesus set us free for freedom. How are Christians especially free? How do you experience freedom in your life?
- Paul states (v.4) that Christians can ‘fall away from grace’. What does that mean?
- v. 5 says that Christians wait by faith for the righteousness for which we hope. Is there any way in which your life is ‘waiting for righteousness’?
- Paul warns against Christians abusing their freedom by ‘indulging their flesh’. What images (and therefore cautions) come to mind with that phrase?
- Share stories within the group of times when you have served or been served humbly in love.