“All your dissatisfaction with the church seems to me to come from an incomplete understanding of sin…
What you seem to demand is that the Church put the kingdom of heaven on earth right now and here- that the Holy Ghost be translated at once into all flesh. The Holy Spirit very rarely shows Himself on the surface of anything.
To have the Church be what you want it to be would require the continuous miraculous meddling of God in human affairs, whereas it is to retain our dignity that God has chosen to operate in another manner. We can’t understand this but we can’t reject it without rejecting life…Christianity makes a difference; but it cannot kill the age.”
Sermon Study Questions: Revelation 3:7-22
- The letter to Philadelphia talks about enduring patiently; have you ever had to endure something patiently? What did it feel like
- What is the significance of the key of David
- What is the meaning of being lukewarm? Why is it worse than being hot or cold
- What is the promise made to Laodicea? How might it apply to us today?
- All the letters end with, “whoever has ears to hear let him (her) hear.” What do you think that means? What might it look like to hear?