Back to Basics
Every so often it’s important to sit down and remind yourself of who you are and what you’re all about. This is especially important when your life is out of control or when you have to make an important decision. Sometimes, we call it ‘getting your bearings’ or ‘finding true North’. For Christians the Gospel is true North. The Gospel keeps us from dismissing Jesus as just a kind leader. The Gospel keeps the Cross front and centre. We’re going to take a few weeks and look each other in the eyes and remind each other of the full power of the Gospel.
Sermon Study Questions: Luke 15:11-32
- Try to get inside the younger brother’s heart. Why does he do what he does? What might his attitude be towards his dad and ‘the family farm’?
- Try to get inside the older brother’s heart. Why does he do what he does? What might be his attitude towards his dad and ‘the family farm’?
- Try to get inside the father’s heart. Why does he do what he does? What might be his attitude towards his boys and ‘the family farm’.
- Christians know the tension between telling the truth and showing grace, especially in difficult matters. How does that tension play out in this story through the Father’s actions and words?
- What feelings rise up in you when a church has to work through difficult issues?